Curriculum shopping is probably the most exciting and difficult area to prepare for when starting to homeschool. Like my indecisiveness to home school, I went back and forth on what curriculum to buy. Mind you, this is only kindergarten...but by the way I researched curriculum you would think I was preparing to teach Sofia college level astrophysics!
My goals for choosing my first lot of curriculum were that:
- The material was planned out for me day by day. I need order. I do not do well with making and sticking to my own schedule.
- I wanted a curriculum that I could use again with the younger girls.
- We are a family that loves to read so I wanted to find something that would further that love and allow us all to enjoy learning together.
Sonlight is a Christian curriculum that is literature based. Their slogan is "the way you wish you'd been taught" and the more I go over this curriculum, the more I think they are right! The books we have received for Kindergarten (Core A) look amazing. The two older girls have already gone through lots of them and have been asking me to read from the poetry books and chapter books! I figure this can only be a good thing ;)
There are many Catholic curriculum choices out there but, to me, they looked dry and dull. I would love to incorporate more of the Catholic faith into our home school (and I will), but I didn't care for the curriculum that is currently available. I can modify what I use/don't use with Sonlight to make it into a Catholic curriculum as needed.
With Sonlight we went with Core A with Level 1 readers. Upon first glance at the books, the Level 1 readers look somewhat easy for Sofia, but I think some review will be good and since she is enjoying reading, I don't want to frustrate her.
We have also purchased their Science A program but have decided to start that after we finish Core A.
For the rest of the subjects we have chosen:
- Math: Horizons K
- Phonics: Explode the Code Book 2
- Spelling: All about Spelling
- Handwriting: Handwriting without Tears
- Physical Activity: Dance class and/or Gymnastics. Hopefully we can get a membership to the Y and incorporate some swimming in the winter months!
- Music: Homeschool music class that she has been attending for a few months already
- Religion: Sunday School Kindergarten at church.